Skip to main content

Pet Sematary - Stephen King

TO READ OR NOT TO READ I
If only I hadn't taken so long to finish Pet Sematary, I would be able to go into great detail the excitement I felt about the novel. I've never wanted to finish a novel as badly as I wanted to finish this Stephen King phenomena, but not for any other reason than it was sickeningly difficult to put down when I did get around to reading it.

SO, in the end I didn't finish it. I mean, I read the end, but I was too anxious that I somehow, through my minds' own free-will I guess, skipped a few pages in the final chapter and epilogue and went straight to the end. Here's why:


I was extremely sceptical about reading an older Stephen King as I had barely scratched the surface of SK's writing with a few of his short stories from Skeleton Crew. For an SK virgin, it was a daunting task of attempting to get through an entire novel, even a shorter one, so I ended up putting it off for weeks. When I finally plucked up the courage to start an actual, serious, real Stephen King thriller, I was pretty much desperate. I had even relented by re-reading the fourth Harry Potter (for the ninth time - yeow). I couldn't put myself through that again. So I read chapter one. Good, entertaining, I wanted to read more. However, by the time Louis Creed had buried his cat and it came back to life, I knew some heavy doo-doo was about to go down.

See, the book is about the Creed's, a totally normal family (with a slightly aggro daddy, Louis) who move to Maine. Louis starts a new job as the doctor in the University's infirmary. Unlucky for Louis, his first day ends with a man lying on the clinic's floor, dead. Still unlucky for Louis is the fact that he dreams about the guy (who was killed in a freak accident where he was struck by a car) who leads him to the forest behind his house, which Louis' neighbour, Jud Crandall, warned him about. It had a path leading to a clearing which contained a small cemetery for the neighbourhood pets. As you can imagine, this held some sort of premonition for the coming year or so for Louis Creed.

But the book really starts when Louis walks outside one morning while his wife and two children, Gage and Ellie, are visiting family in Chicago, to find their cat, Church, lying dead on the pavement. Kindly, his above mentioned neighbour suggests the Pet Sematary (as the kids spelt it on a little sign outside the clearing... just to clear that up) as a resting place for Church. Unbeknownst to Louis the damn cat will come back from the dead when he buries it there, and nearly wets his pants when the cat strolls in the next morning for his breakfast.

But, boy, I didn't see anything after that coming (even though I sort of did). I would like to take this time to applaud Stephen King on being an asshole (in the best way possible... or perhaps I'm a little slow to begin with) and catching me completely by surprise:
(MAJOR SPOILER... er, not really) First, Louis' kid, Gage, dies ... and then he's ... alive? But he isn't, and he ... kills people? And all this happened in, like, 50 pages. All I can say is traumatisingly good writing ensues and no one lives happily ever after.


Stephen King has created a monster.
Not the kid; me.

I am now addicted and am not able to go into a bookshop without checking for new Stephen King books.

I strongly suggest it to all the horror nuts out there.


xx
Tracy


WHAT I'M READING AT THE MOMENT:
Between a Rock and A Hard Place by Aron Ralston
Autobiography

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Between a Rock and a Hard Place - Aron Ralston

TO READ OR NOT TO READ II Okay. I'm not going to lie. I did watch the movie before I read the book. But in all fairness, it wasn't my fault. The movie was so irritatingly persistent in the back of my mind that I just NEEDED something more than a stupid rescue. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, Between a Rock and a Hard Place has a "based-on-the-book-by" movie, "127 Hours". I'm sure you've at least heard about it, but if you haven't it's that James Franco movie where he looks high for other reasons than being high. But, anyway. Onto the book. It was another one I couldn't put down, yet couldn't (or really didn't want to) finish. Aron Ralston really reached and grabbed and pinched (like his dang NERVE) the heartstrings with his autobiographical debut about his experience of being trapped in Blue John Canyon, Canyonland, Ohio. Aron is a mountaineer and hiker extraordinaire. A once successful mechanical engineer

The Only Way is Up - Carole Matthews

TO READ OR NOT TO READ III A record-breaker, if I do say so myself. I finished this one in three days (and only because, you know, I attempted to have a life in between). And yes, I did actually finish it - without trouble... sort of. The Only Way is Up was simply a stunning chick-lit novel that I literally gobbled up in days. Boy did I gobble. Carole Matthews is one of few authors nowadays that I really wish would crank out books faster than I can read them simply for the satisfaction of knowing that I can't keep up with my - dare I say - slight obsession with the wiles of a good romantic comedy. But, then again, I might actually hate them. There's always something in a book that irritates. Or someone. See, The Only Way is Up was supposed to be a cute little "love-survives-anything" story for me, especially with full indication from the start that that's exactly what it would be. Lily Lamont-Jones' husband, the irritatingly likable Laurence, managed to t